Sunday, January 29, 2012

What is the every day life of a vegetarian?

I am really wanting to become a vegetarian (%26amp; eventually maybe a vegan). But I can get discouraged easily. So a few questions for any vegetarians out there..





What to do when you go to a friend's house or party or something of that nature?





What to do when you go to a restaurant?





What to do if the rest of your family isn't vegetarian?





If you transitioned to a vegetarian from eating meat, what kept you motivated?





Did you give into temptations at times?





What was the hardest about becoming a vegetarian?|||What to do when you go to a friend's house or party or something of that nature?

Eat only the vegetarian portion or talk to the host before going to find out if the meal is vegetarian and if I should either eat before hand or bring a dish of my own.



What to do when you go to a restaurant?

I used to be worried about this one but I've found that even in a steak house there is always something I can eat (like a baked potato and salad). Ask your waiter to "hold the meat" of any item on the menu, and don't be afraid to ask if lard or chicken broth or other meat products are in specific items. If you can't find something, tell your waiter that you are vegetarian and do they have any suggestions for you.



What to do if the rest of your family isn't vegetarian?

I no longer live at home but no one else in my family is vegetarian so this can become an issue. Simply avoid the meat portion of a family meal, make your own food, or suggest meals that work with your diet. As vegetarians/vegans are a minority it is inevitable that you will end up at a table with others eating meat. Make sure that there are options for you in the cupboard like bread and peanut-butter, cheese and crackers, rice and beans etc and you will be fine.



If you transitioned to a vegetarian from eating meat, what kept you motivated?

This was never an issue for me. Once I had been on a meat free diet for a week or two and learned how much better I could feel as a vegetarian, meat no longer even smelled good to me. I am occasionally tempted by fish dishes and I've indulged on fish once or twice for special occasions but if your reasons for becoming vegetarian are strong, you shouldn't have an issue here.



Did you give into temptations at times?

Only a couple times, and only with fish. I had the fish course at my sister's wedding and I've had salmon on a few Christmases, but otherwise no and it's been over 6 years.



What was the hardest about becoming a vegetarian?

Dealing with others ridicule over my diet (which is silly because it doesn't affect others in any way shape or form), and having to constantly answer idiotic questions from omnivores. lol... I'm sure you'll do fine if you're committed.|||1. I inform the host in advance that I am a vegetarian, but make sure to tell them not to go through too much trouble. I may offer to bring a vegetarian dish to share.





2. At a restaurant I choose the vegetarian option. I have never encountered a restaurant that didn't have at least one of those. Even steakhouses!





3. Respect their eating habits and offer to cook your own meals and the occasional family meal. Personally I became a vegetarian as an adult so it never became an issue. And my family is supportive anyway. At Christmas my husband and I usually cook a completely vegetarian festive meal for my family at my parents' house.





4. I have no problem keeping motivated. I DO get cravings for meat but I just choose not to act on them. My reasons for being a vegetarian haven't changed, so I don't see why my actions should change.





5. So no, I don't give into temptations. My take on this: not every itch needs to be scratched.





6. Becoming a vegetarian was far far easier than I would have thought beforehand.|||What to do when you go to a friend's house or party or something of that nature?

either eat before or eat the veggies and fruit that's there or a salad if they've made one.sometimes my friends will make a vegetarian meal if i come over( but i never ask them to but it's okay if you do) :]



What to do when you go to a restaurant?

order something vegetarian.most restaurants have veggie options or substitutes



What to do if the rest of your family isn't vegetarian?

I'm the only vegetarian in my family.I eat a lot of salad . veggies and fruits.my dad buys me veggie patties and veggie 'chicken' strips and a lot of canned beans and veggies and fruit:D



If you transitioned to a vegetarian from eating meat, what kept you motivated?

my health and my care for animals :]



Did you give into temptations at times?

nope :]



What was the hardest about becoming a vegetarian

getting some people to except it :] they did after a while





I''m just a vegetarian right now.I still eat some dairy and eggs but soon i'd like to go vegan too|||Im a vegan, but Ill answer these anyway.



1))) What to do when you go to a friend's house or party or something of that nature?



I would do what ever I was going to do there anyway, except I wouldn't eat animal products.



2))) What to do when you go to a restaurant?



I generally don't, honestly haven't been to one in years, but if I did go to one Id probably just eat salad, and french fries. Of course a vegetarian would have MUCH bigger choices at restaurants then me though.



3))) What to do if the rest of your family isn't vegetarian?



Why should I care if im the only vegetarian/vegan in the family?



4))) If you transitioned to a vegetarian from eating meat, what kept you motivated?



I honestly don't know, its different for everyone.



5))) Did you give into temptations at times?



I went from a omnivore diet to vegan diet overnight. And I never gave into temptations, not even once.



6))) What was the hardest about becoming a vegetarian?



Really ******* annoying meat eaters who go off on a rant even though you never provoked them at all.|||1: i take my own meal in a container and heat it up in microwave but sometimes they cook veggie :)


2: i order a vegetable stir fry


3: i cook my own meals but sometimes my family eats vegetarian too!


4: i just thought of animals


5: YES but i pulled through and never gave in now it doesn't tempt me try the brand quorn mmmmm


6: people in my class teasing me about it


hope this helped


good luck


bi|||I don't have any friends.


I order several plates of delicious food.


What's to do about it?


Knowing meat is cruel, disgusting, unhealthy, and environmentally-devastating.


I was never tempted.


Reading product labels.|||eat sleep and ****|||What to do when you go to a friend's house or party or something of that nature?


There are several things you can do, and it's always good to speak with the host of the party. It's not rude to ask if there will be vegetarian options. You can offer to bring some food of your own, or if you don't get a chance to talk about it, bring something anyway. You can also eat before you go if you're worried that you might not get enough to eat there.





What to do when you go to a restaurant?


A lot of restaurants are really vegetarian-friendly and will have a vegetarian menu or at least several veg options on their menu. It really depends on where you live though and what restaurants you have around there. If you're not satisfied with the choices at the places where you are used to eating, don't be afraid to go to a new restaurant. You can always ask your server what's vegetarian.





What to do if the rest of your family isn't vegetarian?


As a vegetarian you have to be sort of independent and rely on yourself for your meals. I had to learn how to cook when I was pretty young because my mom wouldn't cook vegetarian for me. It's not a bad thing though because cooking skills are something you will use for your entire life. You can also help out the person doing the cooking or make a side dish of your own so you're sure to have something you can eat, and they will appreciate that.





If you transitioned to a vegetarian from eating meat, what kept you motivated?


It wasn't difficult because I like veg food a lot better anyway.





Did you give into temptations at times?


no





What was the hardest about becoming a vegetarian?


It was super easy!|||What to do when you go to a friend's house or party or something of that nature?


I eat before, just in case the only food they serve has meat in it. Its never a problem for me, cause all parties i go to have non meat options





What to do when you go to a restaurant?


I order pasta or salad (:





What to do if the rest of your family isn't vegetarian?


My cousins and brother thought it was wierd at first but after 3 years theyve accepted it. Everyone is very accepting of my choices and theyre not bothered by it. My mom actually likes some of the non-meat dishes i make (: its not like vegetarianism is a disease or something lol, theyll understand. It also helps that im not a preachy veg head. I support animal rights but im not all like eat meat and youll die!! I dont hand out flyers of slaughtered animals. Im not physco so its easier on them. I dont condone eating meat, i could care less if someone eats it in front of me, i just dont wish to eat it





If you transitioned to a vegetarian from eating meat, what kept you motivated?


After a week or so of not eating meat, i realized i really didnt miss it. There are alternatives to everything that are 100x healithier and better. I knew in the long run my body would thank me. I also remembered the reasons why i stopped eating meat. You always need to remind yourself your reason for doing something and if its significant enough youll stay motivated





Did you give into temptations at times?


Never. Ive smelt my moms cooking and seen how amazing some meat dishes look at times, but then i realize ive come all this way and i shouldnt just stop for a sensation thatll wear off as soon as im hungry again





What was the hardest about becoming a vegetarian?


When i first gave up meat, i felt tired and i got a little sick cause i basically cut off my iron supply, but then i changed my diet by adding more peanut butter and soy products and stuff like that. Its hard finding new meal plans if youre used to eating meat all the time, but as soon as you get a few dishes you can cook and that you enjoy, its really easy. If only i was this motivated for everything else ^___^ lol|||What to do when you go to a friend's house or party or something of that nature?


All my friends know I'm a vegetarian, so if they're kind enough to invite me to a party, they tend to be thoughtful enough to have veggie food available. It's not hard, even the most militant meat eater will eat pasta salad, bread, cheese, fruit platter, crudit茅s etc. so it's not like I've got to have a seperate table or anything.





What to do when you go to a restaurant?


I choose a dish from the options available. Just like an omnivore.





What to do if the rest of your family isn't vegetarian?


Well, I don't try to convert anyone, if that's what you mean. To each their own.





If you transitioned to a vegetarian from eating meat, what kept you motivated?


The reasons why I did it - compassion, animal welfare. Now I wonder what keeps some people motivated to eat meat.





Did you give into temptations at times?


I had a craving when I was pregnant for chicken. I ate it once. I'd only been veggie for about a year then, so that's 15 years completely meat free now.





What was the hardest about becoming a vegetarian?


Giving away the meat in my freezer. I couldn't just throw it out, I won't waste food, so I gave it to a neighbour of mine.|||I was a vegetarian for a couple months over a bet and I didn't find it to hard. But, vegan would be extremely hard.





If you go to a friends house you have to let the friend know and if you were at a party you just have to find foods that don't have meat fish, ect. Most of the time this results in hunger.





In resturants, there are some menus that indicates which meals are for vegetarians and almost all resturants have at let one meal for vegetarians and/or vegans. If not, you have to find something and ask the waiter. For example, you could usually have salad if it doesnt have bacon bites or chicken. If they do ask for them not to put it.





I had to made my own meals if we were having a meat based meal. If not I would take more of everything that doesnt have meat.





Well, personally I was on a bet but I wanted to do it anyways. I am a animal lover and everytime I started to think of quiting I would just think of the animals. It it also better for your health. vegetarians are said to live 5 years longer than meat eaters and vegans live 7 years longer according to studies.





No, sometimes when we were having steak I would really want to have some but my family kept me going,





The hardest part was probably when I wasn't at home because it can be hard to find something that doesn't have meat.





It definitely isn't that hard to do if you kept motivated. I was only supposed to do it for 2 months but I acually did it for 4 months. I think you should try it and if you find it too hard you can always stop.|||1) I bring my own food, or I make sure to go when I won't be hungry.


2) I don't like restaurants, they smell like dead animals!


3) Convert them. This takes time. My mom is starting to go vegan after I've been vegan for one and a half years! My sister became vegetarian a bit after I went vegan, and my dad usually is vegetarian. I'm working on it! If you can't do it, just make sure that what they eat doesn't smell like anything bad and encourage them to eat some vegan food more often.


4) Reading about animal suffering on farms. I know it is disturbing, but I just became disgusted by meat after a while.


5) I never gave into temptations, but once when I was lacto-ovo (I'm vegan now) I accidentally ate a yoghurt with gelatin in it! I was petrified, but I moved on and tried not to make that mistake again.


6) The hardest thing is being ridiculed for it! People don't always understand, and they can hurt your feelings. Another thing is that people usually don't realize that honey is not vegan.


But overall, it is worth it! To reduce animal suffering, to improve your health, and to help save the environment-- go for it!|||Hunger. Humiliation. Anger. Drowsiness. Bigger appetite. crankiness. More vulnerable to diseases since you're basically giving up essential fats that you get from meat and fish etc etc|||Hi


(1) Go to their kitchen %26amp; prepare something myself


(2) Fruit or salad - sometimes they have vegetarian options


(3) ?? I don't have that problem.


(4) Feeling a lot healthier


(5) Never


(6) ?? It was never hard - it easier day by day

No comments:

Post a Comment