Thursday, February 23, 2012

How do i become a vegetarian?

Well i was a vegetarian about 2 years ago but i was younger and foolish so i didn't really know which right steps to take towards becoming a vegetarian. I ended up having low iron deficiency lol..well anyway my family is completely against it and are meat lovers..including my boyfriend..not only am i disgusted most of the time by meat, but also i wanna stop eating meat for many other reasons. Any tips on what to eat and how to start would be really appreciated and experiences..thank you in advance!How do i become a vegetarian?
The best book is Diet for a Small Planet. It gives all the correct foods and amounts for a healthful diet.
There are a lot of books at the book store for how to and recipes. Most people problem is they don't have variety and get bored of the food. since you have an iron deficiency maybe talk to a dietitian to find out how to balance your meals. becoming vegetarian is easier then becoming a vegan. there are many recipe sites that have veg options. also if you live in a large city check to see if there is a vegan/vegetarian association. they can help out with place for shopping or going out to eat. also most restaurants have vegetarian options on the menus.



good site:

http://www.vegetariansrecipes.org/How do i become a vegetarian?
There are lots of meat items made of vegetables. They make hamburgers, chicken nuggets, sausage patties, all sorts of things. I'm a vegetarian and I eat the Morning Star brand, it's actually really good.

I became a vegetarian when I was bored one day on the internet, and I came across the PETA site. Being curious, I looked at the videos. I watched an undercover video of a slaughterhouse, and that disgusted me so much I haven't eaten meat in almost four years. Watching videos about it makes you not want to eat it. It grosses you out to much you refuse to. That's how I stopped.
Off the top of my head some vegetarian sources of iron are: spinach, beans, nuts, peanut butter, tofu, soy milk, raisins, oatmeal, whole grains...and there are many more. Remember to eat some iron-rich foods every day.



There's not really a certain way that is the right way to go vegetarian. You just have to do what works best for you. Some people go vegetarian overnight and some of them slowly wean themselves off of meat. Just do a little reading on nutrition and look up some recipes and stay focused.How do i become a vegetarian?
everyone asks for steps but i think its easier to become a vegitarian overnight. thats what i did, and if you ever get tempted(we all do), just remind yourself of all ur reasons not too eat meat!being a vegitarian is fun, you are part of a group that most people couldnt even try to be in!i totally know how u feel, i had to become a pesco-vegitarian(eat fish) because i had low iron levels. if thats what ur worried about, its always a good solution to become pesco(others may not agree, but you call uself whatever you want to!)!enjoy!
I would say to slowing wean yourself off meat. Then try giving it up for a few days, a few weeks, a month. Make sure you are staying healthy and getting proper nutrients. I would also get a couple vegetarian health books from the library to help guide you. :) good luck!
By not eating meat, and start taking vitamins.
Don't eat meat or dairy.
just do it and have dicipline. thats the only way.
I thought about it for about a week when I decided. I was - for whatever reason - embarrassed about it and didn't want to tell my parents. During that week when my mum made chicken for dinner I didn't want to eat it. I then did, and I felt horrible. So I looked for excuses. Masterchef was on and they had this dead pig on the table so I told my mum I wanted to be a vegetarian. She didn't think I actually meant it though, she thought I was just saying the pig was gross. We went out for dinner the next night and my mum told me they had a type of chicken I like, I said, I know, but I'm going vegetarian. I haven't eaten meat since. I just stopped. At first I had a few second thoughts, but never gave in. I didn't know about gelatine until a few months later and I gave it up for a new years resolution. (Yesterday I put my non-vegetarian friend off gelatine).

I take iron supplements when it's *hem* that time of the month...

because otherwise they have side effects.

My mum recently found out about this grain called quinoa, it has a high iron content (or something else vegetarians need, I don't know) and is great for vegetarians.

If you just eat vegetarian replacements, which by the way, you'll have to get used to the taste of SOME of them if you're used to real meat. Some are absolutely delicious, and better than real meat in my opinion.



I know that just quitting straight away may not be best for everybody, but I think if you are going to ease into it, don't do it like just gradually eating less and less. First cut out beef, then chicken, then fish, or whatever you feel comfortable with.

Good luck and I hope I helped!
1) Vegetarian food for thought: get the podcast its damn good

2) stock yer shelves with seeds/nuts/fresh vegetables. Seeds and nuts are pretty much as healthy as you will get

3) learn how to cook, if you know how to cook learn how to alter the dish to be meatless %26amp; experiment with sauces

4) Don't go shouting out youre vegetarian, people tend to feel uncomfortable. I'd only one friend support me the rest all told me it was jsut a phase i was going through %26amp; that i'd go back + slag me (great friends eh?:P)

5) Learn humility, don't be a condescending d*ck



Plenty of advice on the net, supplements aren't needed. Neither do you have to eat a ton of food to make up for the lack of meat, chances are you're going to become healthier from eating a varied diet than when you just ate plain ol ''carrots potatoes chicken'' regardless of the amount (within limits naturally)
I am a vegetarian and like you, my family and boyfriend all eat meat. I've lived independently from my family for a few years now so it's a lot easier as I only cook for myself, but the following helps...



Start by cutting out red meat. After two weeks or so - once your body has adapted - cut out poultry, and then seafood, and all white meat. Do it gradually so your body can adapt to not having these things in small doses, otherwise you may be more tempted to give in to 'cravings'.



In terms of making sure you get enough iron etc, a balanced diet rich in dark green and leafy vegetables [broccoli, watercress etc] will give you iron. As will nuts [but in moderation, and not salted]. Kidney beans, lentils and dried fruits such as apricots also have a high iron content.



Go for whole grain and non processed foods too, and you'll probably be getting a more balanced intake of vitamins and minerals than you were on a meat-inclusive diet. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment