Thursday, February 23, 2012

How do I convince my family I'm serious about being vegetarian?

They don't think I'm serious. I've tried at least 6 times already to do it, but they keep pushing me to eat meat. Ugh. And it's not like I really have a choice as to what I'm going to eat or not if we go out to eat or someone cooks something. I plan on getting a job soon, so I think I'm just gonna start paying for my own food and I won't have to deal with all this. =/How do I convince my family I'm serious about being vegetarian?
Actions speak louder than words. Stick to it and make sure you do it healthily so that you're setting a good example. Most skeptical family members will eventually back off when they see that they aren't getting anywhere.
Show them http://www.meetyourmeat.comHow do I convince my family I'm serious about being vegetarian?
You'll never convince them, eventually, they'll just have to accept it. I remember when I was 18, my sister told me I was going through a phase and when I grow up I'll eat like a "normal person." Ten years later, I think my family is still waiting for me to conform, but they are slowing starting to except that I don't eat meat!!!! Stop waiting for people to accept you, just do your thing and stay positive! When you graduate high school, and move on to college, your dietary decisions will be your own and your family will accept that! In the meantime, try not to make any enemies, your family is your family and they'll be your family forever, no matter what! PEACE!
Words are not actions. Actions are not words. Do not try to convince others, but convince thyself, young grasshopper.How do I convince my family I'm serious about being vegetarian?
Good plan. Independence is a great way of convincing people of clear intention and commitment. And yes, remember you do have support here.
Simply stick to what you want to do. If you are serious about becoming vegetarian then just do it. When somone else cooks or you go out to eat there are other things on the table or on the menu I am sure that you can eat safely as a vegetarian.
Do they really force you to eat meat, or do they just put in on your plate and you eat it? Why can't you eat everything BUT the meat?? Can't be that difficult.
When certain members of my family found out I was considering becoming a vegetarian they laughed at me. I am not a fan of confrontation so I let them win for a few more years. During that time I was constantly frustrated because I wasn't standing up and making the decision that was right for me. In the end it wasn't my family I had to convince but 'myself'. Was 'I' serious enough about becoming a vegetarian to take whatever negative comments etc. that were going to come my way? It took a while but once I could answer Yes to that question with no doubt in my mind I just jumped right in and did it. Sure I still get nasty comments from time to time, mostly in jest (but no less annoying) but I stick to my guns. So if you're really serious about it there's nothing holding you back but you. :) Good luck!
Yup. Either do or do not do.

It is about you, not them.

Forget about them. If they do not want to support you, find a way to do it yourself.



Just imagine if you really wanted to play hockey but they all just thought you were not serious and too small or not a good enough skater or whatever... well, you'd have to save your money and buy your own equipment and stuff, and do it yourself then, right? Right.



Strangely enough, most parent are not very supportive of their children's wishes.
You can do it :)

Always carry a good supply of snacks on you, so if you guys ever do go out you can just eat that instead of their dinner.
refuse to eat it, and dont cave under pressure. they cant MAKE you eat meat (unless they physically tie you up, hold your nose and shove it in there when you open your mouth to breath.) explain to them WHY you want to become a vegetarian, and politely ask if they would mind perhaps buying you tofu as a substitute. offer to cook your own meals seperately, and if you cant cook, go to classes or swing by the local bookshop and buy a vegetarian cookbook. good luck :) vegetarian is a very positive lifestyle choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment