Sunday, February 26, 2012

How do I go vegetarian? After watching "Meet your Meat", I plan to completely change my way of eating.

I pretty much gave up eating red meat many years ago, but never knew about the cruel treatment of chickens, turkeys, and fish. I never had any idea that by drinking milk and eating dairy products I am supporting the inhumane treatment of cows as well. A friend told me I can buy free range milk, dairy products and eggs where the animals are not mistreated. Where can I find these items? I will also have a hard time even buying or cooking meat for my husband. How can I convince him to try to go vegetarian as well?How do I go vegetarian? After watching "Meet your Meat", I plan to completely change my way of eating.
I know what you are talking about go to www..PETA.com and choose go veg and you will find some rec.
Try your local wholefood or Co-Op grocery for the dairy and egg product. As for your husband, all you can do is tell him how you feel. But don't judge him or constantly throw your beliefs in his face or he'll become resentful. If anything, tell him he'll have to prepare and buy his own meat from now on. You can't force someone to change.How do I go vegetarian? After watching "Meet your Meat", I plan to completely change my way of eating.
How to Go Vegetarian or Vegan



So you鈥檝e decided to go vegetarian or vegan. But now what? If you're trying to figure out what your next step should be, these quick tips will help you make the transition.



Transform dishes that you already know and enjoy. For example, omit meatballs from your favorite spaghetti recipe, or replace with a vegetarian substitute, such as GimmeLean. Chances are, much of what you already eat could easily be made vegetarian.



Explore new foods! One of my favorite things to do is to try one new product every time I go to the grocery store. As a result, I eat a much more varied diet as a vegan than I ever did before. Although most large grocery stores stock soy milk and veggie burgers, try browsing in your local health food stores to see what new foods you can find.



Try it twice. If you hated a particular food the first time, such as veggie burgers, try it again later, using a different product brand or prepared differently or with different seasonings and spices. Not all products are the same, and you may prefer one product or style of preparation. For example, if you microwaved your veggie burger the first time, try grilling it next time.



Browse health food stores. There's always something new to try, and the staff can help you find what you're looking for or give advice on which products are best.



Give yourself a break! Don鈥檛 throw in the towel if you can鈥檛 resist that burger. Just take a breath and resolve to do better at the next meal. Another idea is to allow yourself one day a week to eat meat. If you鈥檙e finding it difficult to stick to a vegetarian diet, you鈥檙e much more likely to pass something up, knowing you can indulge on Saturday or Sunday.



Be patient! You may find it easy to go vegan overnight, while others struggle just omitting red meat. Everyone really is different, but rest assured that with time, your cravings will subside. Remembering your goals and reasons for going vegetarian or vegan will help you when you are tempted to give in.



Learn, read and talk. Learn and read as much as possible about vegetarian health and foods. Knowledge is power! If you know any other vegetarians or vegans, ask them for their tips or advice. Everyone will have something different to share, but most people are more than willing to provide a bit of advice and will likely be flattered that you asked.



Browse your local bookstore for a great vegetarian cookbook. Look for one that not only appeals to you, but has a variety of recipes that are simple enough for everyday use.



If you鈥檙e the only one in your family transitioning to a vegetarian diet, you don鈥檛 have to cook two separate meals! Simply cook the meat for dishes like stir-fries and pasta dishes in a separate pan and add to a separated portion just before serving.



Try new restaurants. Seek out Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern and Thai restaurants and taste the many dishes and foods they have to offer.



Be sure to replace meat with healthy foods and eat a balanced diet. If you are eating nothing but French fries and chips, your health will suffer, and you will want to resort to your former eating habits. Eat a variety of whole grains, vegetables and proteins, such as tofu or veggie burgers to stay full and healthy.
Its super easy to go veggie, and congrats to you for doing so. Just replace meat with beans, legumes, mushrooms, whole grains (quinoa, pronounced keen wa is awesome) There are many meat substitutes, made from soy, but not only am I allergic to them, they are just too close to the real deal. I am fortunate enough to have a well pampered cow that happily gives me the gift of her fresh raw milk, which I churn into butter and use to make homemade cheese. You can usually purchase raw dairy from a food co op or local dairy farm-where the animals are well cared for. I consider eggs to be a gift from chickens. Many will tell you you are eating a dead chick if you eat eggs-simply not true, They are unfertilized, and therefor are no more a chick than a womans period is a baby. Eggs, if left on the ground, would be a waste. Try to find a good source of organic, free range eggs-again, a food co op usually has them. Sadly, I am allergic to them, but I fix them for my daughter all of the time. As for your hubby, I can only make a suggestion. Don't try to convert him, but do explain your choice to him, and suggest that he limit eating meat out only, or purchasing it and cooking it himself, in his own pan. You should not have to look at dead flesh once you have realized how wrong it is. Another way to motivate yourself about not eating meat is to research how unhealthy that nasty stuff really is. First, the animals are fed an unnatural diet of pesticide laden grains and ground up brains and organ meats. They are pumped full of antibiotic to overcome deplorable diseases and conditions. They are given growth hormones and steroids to make them ready for slaughter faster. Uric acid, urine, and fecal matter is in the meat as well. After learning these facts, meat lost all of its appeal to me, and I now find it repulsive. Good luck to you! I hope this helps a bit By the way, ignore the fools who will post saying you are "meant" or "designed" to eat meat. They are all just following the rest of the uninformed, so pay them no mindHow do I go vegetarian? After watching "Meet your Meat", I plan to completely change my way of eating.
one step at a time, first you eat your veggs, if it goes well then you can talk to your husby about, from my experience, a guy won't give up meat very easily, and will be very offensive about it, so don't force it
Most organic farms can supply you with information. There are magazines and other written material all about organic and healthy eating. Start with whole food stores like Wheatfields. You may even find organic meats, where the animals are not mistreated -- same with cruelty-free cosmetics.



Legumes, rice, pasta and soy products are all excellent substitutes for meat, and provide protein as well. Then there's the vast array of fruits and vegetables. Men are usually much harder to convert to vegetarianism, but there are excellent vegetarian cookbooks. Try him out on some of the delicious recipes. He may not be convinced all at once, but keep adding vegetarian dishes to your menus. I have the same problem. While I'm not a complete vegetarian, I much prefer veggies, salads, fruits, pasta and rice to red meat. I still eat chicken and some fish, but roast beef and hamburger hold no charm for me. I must confess to an occasional filet mignon, but this is rare because they are too expensive, and I only indulge in them on special occasions. Good luck in your pursuit of the vegetarian life. If you have children, be sure they get enough protein and minerals through supplements. Kids are not avid vegetable eaters, but there are ways of disguising veggies by pureeing them and adding them to soups and pasta sauces, etc., a trick I use to get my husband to eat them....
Something you really need to remember; these are ANIMALS. Animals treat EACH OTHER worse than we could ever dream of treating them, by human standards.
I pity your husband, a typical yoghurt weavers attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment