Monday, February 20, 2012

How should I start to be a vegetarian?

I have always toyed with the idea of being a vegetarian, but I don't know how to go about changing my lifestyle. I am still in high school so I usually just eat what my parents buy, and they are very big meat eaters, so I am not sure how to start. What should I eat to get all my nutrients, without killing my tastebuds? I brought this idea up to my parents before and they kind of laughed, but I want to have more knowledge this time so I can actually talk about it with them so they know I know what I am doing.How should I start to be a vegetarian?
I've been a vegetarian since 7th grade (I quit cold turkey!) and now I'm a freshman in college. It was definitely hard at first, because my dad was convinced he would be able to change my mind. After many failed attempts, he eventually gave up. In middle school, there were not many vegetarian meals offered at school, so I either bought a peanut butter %26amp; jelly or packed my own lunch. Now that I have moved out from my parent's house, it's so much easier to eat what I want. It's very important to get enough protein when you become a vegetarian. My personal favorites are peanut butter, cottage cheese, chocolate milk, eggs, protein shakes, and SOY PROTEIN! The Morning Star "chicken nuggets" are the best things ever invented. I also like the fake hot dogs and bologna. Garden burgers are disgusting, but Boca burgers are ok. Also make sure you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Another one of my favorite meals is Broccoli Cheese %26amp; Rice made by Green Giant (I think). It's under $2 and can be heated up in the microwave in a few mins. There's also a lot of pasta you can eat that doesn't have any meat in it, such as cheese tortellini and spaghetti, just make sure the sauce doesn't have meat. If you have any more questions, my email address is dknygirl922@yahoo.com
I became a vegetarian gradually, not overnight. I just slowly stopped eating red meat, chicken, pork, etc. I didn't even have a single bite of turkey this past Thanksgiving.



When eating a meal with others, I just eat around the meat. Usually no one notices. Because people are very judgmental, I don't even bring up the fact that I am vegetarian. You can do the same around your parents. They may or may not notice, but they can't force you to eat meat.



Eat veggies, eat whole grain items, dairy helps too, although some vegetarians do not eat dairy. I rely on beans, nuts, eggs, tofu, etc for protein. Sometimes I'll buy specialty items like veggie burgers, veggie hotdogs, veggie sausage, just for variety. There are good tofu chili recipes out there too; just search the Internet. Good luck.How should I start to be a vegetarian?
start by going down to just fish and chicken and maybe once in a while a piece of steak. See how you like that. There are several different types of vegetarians, even such things known as flexitarians, which is when you eat meat, but not every meal. Try by first cutting it out slowly and not just going "cold turkey". If you do decide to be a vegetarian, make sure you are getting enough protein, mainly from eggs (if you are eating them), beans, tofu and dairy products. The book "The Scwarzbein Principle for Vegetarians" or something of that matter is really helpful. Happy eating!
Im also still in high school and have become a vegetarian. I come from a big Puerto Rican family were meat is part of dinner all the time. When I decided to change my lifestyle I just came out and told them how it was going to be from now on with me. They didnt take me seriously for a while and poked fun, but after a little while they finally realized I was sticking to what I said. They dont have a problem buying the fruits and vegetables and salads and actually my accommodations sometimes for me. I also went on GoVeg.com and ordered a Free Veg Starter Kit. It was chalk full of recipes and tips for when you make the "switch". Eventually you parents will start to respect your decision.How should I start to be a vegetarian?
It is in your heart and will come to you naturally if you let it.
Start out by picking 2 meats/fish to eat for one month eat these along with other foods {not including meat/fish} then after that month olny eat 1 meat for that month with other foods then the third month you should be used to not eating any meat stick to this you will prove your parents wrong and trust me it feels good
Just show them that you mean it. Print out tons of stuff from GoVeg.com to show them that you care about your choice and that you have made an educated decision, not just a spur-of-the-moment feeling. Show them all the things in their cabinets that you can eat, and tell them how much it means to them. The hardest part is telling your friends. Make it sound cool. They'll probably tease you, but it WILL go away over time.
First ask yourself "Why do you want to be a vegetarian?" Is it just cuz you wanna just try it. When I was younger (grade 5) I thought that Its sad that ppl kill animals to eat. So I tried to not eat meat .But i couldn't cuz my whole family ate meat. After I tried it again cuz it really pissed me off.Why kill Innocent anilas for you .What if sooner or later all animals will me gone cuz of humans. Why don't you try eating mean for a month ,then the next month don't eat meat so you won't kill so much of your taste buds. I Your parents just don't understand you probably they have been eating meat for their entire life. Tell them how you feel about always eating meat. I told them and my mom sumtime try and do it with me.
I actually went cold turkey and nothing happened to my body (I've heard some people had become ill for awhile, it all depends how much meat you have consumed). Step by Step is also a good way to do things. Just make sure you read up on supplements and foods that contain protein and B-12. I'm sure a multi-vitamin taken daily should be good. You parents don't seem like the easiest to convince especially since they laughed when you brought it up to them. Maybe you could bring home some vegetarian food. I suggest Chik'n nuggets from Morning Star Farms, I doubt your parents could taste the difference.



Some other good vegetarian products are:

Amy's

Quorn

I don't really care for Boca



Good luck hun!
Buy a book on maintaining a healthy veggie diet.
maybe you should start by eating a salad and try not to eat meat or chicken for a while . Also get a veggie burger from McDonalds

lol



Welcome :)
  • dmv nc
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment