Monday, February 20, 2012

What's the best way to become a vegetarian?

I have been on the American diet since the day I was born, but recently I have been thinking about changing my lifestyle, as well as eating habits, and I feel that maybe the carnivorous diet isn't the healthiest. I work in the healthcare field and have seen the American diets wrap sheet on bodily destruction in the latter years of life, and I don't want to be apart of it, so I am asking, what is the best way to become a vegetarian? I have already given up PORK, and beef, but chicken and fish I have a hard time letting go of. What are my menu and recipe options as a vegan?What's the best way to become a vegetarian?
Do it all at once! Go from omnivore to vegan in one fell swoop. Dr. Ornish recommends this in his heart-disease books, and from a practical standpoint, it really makes sense.



I was a vegetarian for 6 years before becoming vegan... now a vegan for 7 years, I kick myself for not doing it sooner. It's not hard, only a bit of an adjustment. Just give it -- and yourself -- time to try.



For the first six years as a vegetarian, I never considered being a vegan. I listened to everyone who said vegans were crazy radicals who enjoyed deprivation and assumed that must be true. What got me interested was looking into my assumptions that eating dairy and eggs didn't harm the animals. Wrong. Once I bothered to find out about how animal products were produced, I couldn't participate in it anymore. And my desire to eat those items evaporated on the spot. (try http://www.vegan.com -- Erik Marcus's book, "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating" is a free PDF download.)



Your menu and recipe options are limitless. There are myriad sources of vegan recipes on the web (try the Post Punk Kitchen, PCRM, vegcooking.com, vegweb.org, vegsoure.com). Many of those sites describe restaurant options too.



p.s. Since I did it, four of my family members did too (two vegan, two veg).



Good luck!!!
Start by eating vegetables. Buy a copy of the Moosewood Cookbook and go to town!What's the best way to become a vegetarian?
By not eating meat.
eat vegetablesWhat's the best way to become a vegetarian?
depends on if you wanna be vegan or vegetarian. you should probably be vegetarian first.
Don't be silly. Eat Moose !
Fish and chicken are so much better for you than red meat and pork. You get essential Omega-3 oils from some fish. But if you want to become a total vegan than be prepared to give up everything made from animal product.
Take it slow. Chicken and fish are very healthy and you need the protein. Just eat healthier versions of them. NO FRIED CHICKEN and FISH!!! If you are seriously considering becoming a vegan, slowly remove the meat from your diet. Being a vegan doesn't just mean not eating meat. Dairy, cheese, eggs and many other things would be able to be consumed. Think about it.
hey, no one mentioned gelatin. Look out for gelatin (crushed horse hoofs.) When I was a vegatarian I had to read food lables extra carefully. They like to use fancy words that most people don't understand. It's really suprizing what they put in food now. I am no longer a vegatarian, but I like to make things from sratch because of all the chemicals that are in food. Well good luck.
hey man... I'm happy for you. However you choose to make the switch, I think it's key to find resources that help you learn to replace your meals with vegetarian choices that will keep you with the Iron and Protein that you need. But I already know you're a reader so I'm sure you're doing this.



My mom is vegetarian so I'll ask her for some good on-line resources.
do you want to be a staight vegan?

start with salads and stop eating junk especially processed foods! this worked for me..
Well at Taco bell those vegan kids like the 7 layer burritos. but if you want to be a vegan you can't eat sour cream or eggs, or cheese. who the hell doesn't like cheese. or you could eat tofu, but i do not recommend it, because its gross, especially soy milk, which is not milk by the way.
This website is really good for prospective vegetarians/vegans. They provide a ton of info on the problems with meat, have a bunch of free vegetarian recipes, tips on how to make the transition, and also have a link to recieve a free vegetarian starter kit!

It's good to make the change slowly. Check out the vegetarian section of your grocery store! They have all kinds of meat replacers there. I like to use the fake ground beef in tacos or spaghetti sauce, fake chicken strips in a stir-fry. Veggie burgers and veggie dogs are actually pretty tasty and supply you with all the protein and a fraction of the fat and none of the cholesterol!

Congrats on the decision to make the switch. It's better for you, the animals and the planet! Good luck!



http://goveg.com/
  • watch weeds season 7
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment