Thursday, February 23, 2012

Vegetarian parent with non-vege child. How can I get her to try new foods?

I am vegetarian and my girlfriend is not (we are both college students as well). We have a 4-year old daughter who is also not vegetarian. When it is my night to make dinner and the girlfriend is not there I have a terrible time getting our daughter to try foods with meat. I tell her they are good (and I make them with meat because I believe she needs it while growing) but I will not eat it to prove so. Anyone have any tips that work for them?Vegetarian parent with non-vege child. How can I get her to try new foods?
Why don't you make vegetarian food for her? I understand that you believe (although I completely disagree with you) that she needs to eat meat at this stage in her life, but do you think she needs to eat meat at every meal?
Why not have her try and help prepare the meals. I have found a few books that may help, try your local library and take them out . . . and perhaps they can give you some ideas. Maybe sit down with her and look through them together and see if anything catches her attention.

Also why not try making a veggie pizza, you can't go wrong with a pizza with kids :)



http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Can-Cook-Vege鈥?/a>



http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Peanut鈥?/a>



I have also taken this book out from the library myself and found it to be excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Gu鈥?/a>Vegetarian parent with non-vege child. How can I get her to try new foods?
If you won't eat it, why would she? That's how kids look at it.

You might have to pretend, or you might have to just eat some. Why don't you puree it or something so that she can't tell it's in there? That's what some of us do with veggies. :)

Kids eat weird for a while though. My brother didn't ever give his kids soda pop, now they are school age (4 %26amp; 6) and refuse to drink it. The other kids make fun of them.

There's just no telling with kids.

Good luck.
let her pick; take her to the grocery store with you and let her pick out some of the things she likes.

you could also just make like fried rice and cut meat into it.Vegetarian parent with non-vege child. How can I get her to try new foods?
Include her in the process of preparing the food. Let her pick it out in the store, help read the recipe, mix things together, etc. When kids are included in the prep/cooking stage they will eat almost anything. :)
If you are worried about protein. Why not make her a veggie dinner and then serve up a dessert of Chocolate Nut Balls
If you know meat and protein is good for you and you will feed it too your daughter, then why won't you eat it?..........
she doesn't need meat to be healthy. get a brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment